Admiral Hipper – Ship (Hi)Story
Today is the 83rd Launch Anniversary of Kriegsmarine Heavy Cruiser – Admiral Hipper. Let’s take a brief look at the story of this famous WWII ship!
Lead ship of Admiral Hipper class heavy cruisers was designed during 1934 – 1936 along with other two ships of the same class – Seydlitz and Lützow, later followed by Prinz Eugen and Blücher, after rejecting the The Treaty of Versailles and London Naval Treaty.
Although Germany signed an agreement with Great Britain, which provided a legal basis for German naval rearmament and building of five 10,000-long-ton (10,000 t) “treaty cruisers”, Admiral Hipper reached a displacement of 18,500 t at full load.
Admiral Hipper was equipped with eight 203 mm guns mounted in four twin gun turrets, placed in superfiring pairs forward and aft, four triple torpedo launchers, and 32 anti-air guns of caliber ranging from 20 – 105 mm. Ship’s protection from air attacks was secured by double-deck armor, and her belt armor was 70-80mm thick. Maximum speed could reach up to 44 kt ( 81 km/h; 51 mph).
Ship was fully completed on 29 April 1939 and was put under command of Kapitän zur See (Captain at Sea) Hellmuth Heye.